Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Practice What You Preach

As I’m writing a teleclass that’s being presented later this month, I’m feeling a bit convicted by some of the business sense I am passing along. My seminar is about creating a marketing calendar for 2008, filling it in with all the marketing duties and campaigns you are going to complete in the next year. I especially recommend this technique to my blogging clients so they can have three full months of topics to draw from, in case their business really takes off (their hope and my goal.)

Enter conviction.

My calendar has been full for months now—new and old clients, exciting assignments, editing my NaNo book and hiring some help. It’s been so full that I have neglected my own marketing duties. Just like I nag my clients, you never know when the pipeline will run dry. I spend my days writing other people’s text, web copy, eBooks and blogs that I’ve neglected to write my own.

So I am going to take my own advice. I am filling out my marketing calendar, complete with scheduled blog dates and a spreadsheet of potential topics. I’m going to treat my business like one of my clients’s and give it top priority.

No comments: